Monday, June 27, 2011

The Basement Still In The UK Top 10

Figures out today from The Bookseller magazine shows The Basement is still in the Top 10. It's funny because it's been an eBook bestseller for more than six months now but the only time they have used my name is when it's fallen five places! Maybe I'm just being paranoid! I think the only writer who has spent more time in the UK Top 10 is Stieg Larsson.

Also, I have to say that I'm pretty sure The Bookseller is wrong because The Basement has been Number 5 or 6 on the UK KIndle store chart all week and in the Top 4 of the iBooks chart.....

Anyway, here's what the magazine had to say today!


Philip Stone, charts editor: For the third week in a row, crime-writer Karin Slaughter's The Unremarkable Heart, Random House Group's first ever direct-to-digital fiction title, takes top spot in The Bookseller's e-bestseller list.

Last week's number two, Stephen Leather's The Basement, falls five places to seventh overall, while George R R Martin's A Game of Thrones, the first installment in his epic medieval fantasy series, A Song of Fire and Ice, climbs three places into second position - off the back of solid downloads at Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones.com and Apple's iBookstore. All three retailers (as well as WHSmith) are selling the ebook at £5.49 — two pence dearer than the print edition's average selling price at UK bookstores last week. The second book in the series, A Clash of Kings, re-joins the chart in 10th position, while Rosamund Lupton's AfterwardsCaitlin Moran's and How to be a Woman are the two new entries.

Lupton's first novel, Sister, was one of the bestselling bestselling novels of 2010 thanks to a spot in WHS's Richard and Judy book club, while sales of Times columnist Moran's memoir/rant has benefited from an extract in her employer's own magazine.

Pos Title Author
1 (1) The Unremarkable Heart Karin Slaughter
2 (5) A Game of Thrones George R R Martin
3 (4) Catch Your Death Voss and Edwards
4 (3) Life and Laughing Michael McIntyre
5 (8) Killing Cupid Voss and Edwards
6 (-) Afterwards Rosamund Lupton
7 (2) The Basement Stephen Leather
8 (6) London Calling James Craig
9 (-) How to be a Woman Caitlin Moran
10 (-) A Clash of Kings George R R Martin

1 comment:

  1. "I'm a writer. I've written a lot of books. And yes, they've been published!" Snap ... so far. But most of my books have been western novels -- thrillers, sure, but in a slightly different way. You can read about some of them at the free online quarterly, Black Horse Extra. Since April, I've reissued three independently as Kindle ebooks. One is priced at a knock-down 99 cents (69p). Almost nobody wants to know. Can anybody tell me just how the average ebook reader chooses his or her reading? I don't believe it can be reviews. My novels are thankfully well reviewed. I don't believe it's blurbs. The ebooks have virtually the same ones as the print editions. I don't believe it can be covers, though if anyone cares to look and can tell me otherwise, I'd be ready to listen. So just what are the yardsticks against which ebooks must be measured before they can approach a top 100 let alone a top 10?

    ReplyDelete